Easy Onion/Garlic salt


 Ever find yourself shopping and buying onion or garlic salt. It's really useful to have around to sprinkle on foods for a little extra boost to the flavour during or after cooking. As an avid cook, gardener and chef by trade, I've always hated the waste when peeling onions or garlic as I know that each layer is weeks of growth and time. 

Now, this is what I do, whenever I have skins from peeling onion or garlic I put them in an uncovered bowl, one for each. Once I have enough to create an even layer on a baking sheet, I spread them out and then pop the tray in the oven on its lowest setting. Then cook to dry out and caramelise a little checking hourly for one to two hours. When they reach a nice even caramel colour remove them from the oven and allow them to cool. If doing garlic this is the time to remove the hard bottom root flaking off as much skin as you can. Once cool pop your skins in a blender or spice grinder, add 2-3 tablespoons of salt and blitz till you get a nice fine texture. If using a blender it helps to pick it up and shake it every now and again to settle the salt. If you have a lot of larger particles still showing you can pass it through a sieve. Now pop it in an airtight container and use it as required. 

Comments

Popular Posts