To burn or not to burn


 During the winter months, most gardeners accumulate a considerable of woody pruning waste from the annual maintenance of shrubs, fruit trees and bushes. Unless you have a chipper and a good one at that you are left with wood and branches to be taken to recycling centres or burnt by the bonfire. The latter also has its social and environmental issues with complaints to councils in the UK has quadrupled in recent years.

As well as potentially causing a nuisance, bonfires can produce 'greenhouse' gases such as carbon dioxide which add to global warming. Bonfires can also produce other poisonous gases and fine particles which can affect human health

Council Comment

I treat this problem in my own way. Many of us like to line our paths between beds with woodchips and whilst this gives a very pretty and tidy effect, it can be difficult to source for free or expensive to buy. When I prune I do so to a large bin which I drag around behind me. I then put the kettle on, make a cuppa and sit down. Tea on one side, pruning on the other and a box or bin in between. First I remove all the green waste from the branches, leaves and such, putting them on the compost heap. Then I sit with secateurs and cut my way through the branches and twigs allowing them to fall into the bin. I do this in no hurry or whenever I feel like a break from the myriad of other jobs that present themselves on the allotment. I cut each into 15-20cm lengths [6-8 inches in old money] enjoying the sounds and smells surrounding me. There is nothing sweeter or more pleasant than the smell of cutting applewood or blackcurrant. The resulting cut twigs I then spread on my paths, over time this produces the same effect of commercial woodchips with the added benefits that it doesn't break down as quickly, uses up a resource I already have and doesn't have any negative effect on the environment or my neighbours. 


I continue this throughout the growing season with subsequent summer pruning and formative pruning that is necessary. There is no end to the trimming for the paths leaving me with only larger pieces which I split into kindling and dry for the small woodburning stove that I use for my kettle.

Comments

  1. Wonderful blog Marco.. I need to look out for a woodburning stove! Sandra plot 3 West

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra for your kind comment. I've done a article in response to your comment hope it is useful.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts