Charcoal from a Cuppa






 I stopped using a gas stove at my allotment as the price of gas canisters went up and I always have an abundance of scrap wood, twigs and branches around so I use my wee 'Hobostove' wood burner. All it is is two catering-size cans joined together with a makeshift grill made from some scrap fencing mesh. I've started to use my 'Hobostove' more often as my Brick Rocket stove is more efficient and uses less wood, but I don't get the charcoal.






When it's time for a cuppa I fill the stove with dry wood, which I've previously cut into kindling and dried in my shed, light it and as soon as it's lit I pop the kettle on. This actually boils a full kettle quicker than my gas stove, so once boiling I remove the kettle. I check all the wood is black and then from a height, to avoid getting steam burns, I carefully pour a mug of cold water in. The result dowses the fire and preserves the unburnt charcoal. I then tip it out, allow it to cool then add it to my stockpile for use later when a BBQ is planned. 



Now I usually have two or three cuppas over an allotment day and gain a small shovel of charcoal for each one. It's a win-win for me and I'm using up scrap wood, boiling my kettle and gaining charcoal.

Charcoal has many other uses in and out of the garden, this site lists but a few but a quick Google search will find many more.

Comments

Popular Posts