TV series that changed my life!

 


In the late eighties and early nineties, I was still happily married and full of hope for the future. My culinary journey was just at its peak and most of my time was spent on thinking about food. One of my passions was Far Eastern cookery, from its simplicity in ingredients and complexity through spicing. Traditional Indian cooking was one of my first to get to a higher level, mixing and building flavour through the use of individual spices. My other and all-time favourite cuisine was Asian (Chinese) cookery. I had a basic knowledge and could produce some very acceptable dishes but never totally happy with my results. Then one day Sky satellite tv started showing a series called 'Yan Can Cook' which truly changed my culinary life. The series host Martin Yan showed the fundamental basics of Chinese cuisine and techniques essential to producing wonderful dishes. At the time I did everything possible to catch every episode while the series was available. Sadly once over it was nigh impossible to re-watch and over the years have tried many times to see if it was available online. A few days ago whilst going down the YouTube rabbit hole I came across a link that I would like to share now. If you have any interest in Chinese cookery I seriously suggest giving them a view and hope it brings you as much inspiration and joy as it has done for me. 


Yan Can Cook episodes playlist available here (90 episodes)

On a side note, Martin Yan also Held the record for breaking down (butchering) a chicken in 16 seconds, amazing to watch.


Comments

Popular Posts