Autumn Hedgerow Harvest

 This is my first Blog in a while but I felt it essential to write about what's in season now.


Earlier, on my way back from the local shopping centre, I spied a healthy-looking Blackthorn bush (Sloe Berry) I've been watching for ripeness.

In under 10 minutes, I had a nice 700g harvest of Sloes from just one bush. Now, these are the first I've harvested this year and although sharp to taste they've started to split, showing they are ready, so now was the time for this bush. 
There are many recipes, that this fruit can be used for, available on the web. My main is to treat them like mini plums offering good colour and flavour despite their diminutive size. Mixed with apples produce a really tasty jam or even with added spices to make a chutney. 

Sloes are a great free resource and shouldn't be missed.

Comments

Popular Posts