Hoi Sin Kale Stems & Fried Rice (Vegan option)

 A little while back in March I wrote an article about Sutherland Kale, well yesterday was my first harvest so here's what I did with it. In preparation, I removed the leaves from the stems by simply holding a stem in one hand while the other stripping the leaf off. Once done, the leaves I shredded, blanched and lay on a tray and popped in the freezer for later use which I bag once frozen. The stems I then cut them into inch (3cm) pieces and refreshed them in water then refrigerated them as I knew I was going to use them today. I also cooked some rice for the dish, as for fried rice it is important to cook the rice the day before or it sticks to the wok. 

Ingredients


A handful of fresh (not frozen) Kale stalks

2 cloves of garlic

2 or more chillies

2 tsp of minced ginger

A small handful of peanuts or cashews

Some sliced spring onions or garlic greens

Light soy sauce

1 tsp sugar

1 heaped tsp Hoi Sin Sauce (can be replaced with oyster sauce)

Some cooked chicken but I used a Seitan steak I already had grilled in the fridge (meat is a bit expensive just now and I enjoy seitan)

1 tsp cornflour or arrowroot mixed with a little water

Pre-cooked rice


Method (One Wok)




Season Wok
  • Heat the wok till blued and hot 
  • Add a little vegetable oil, half the garlic, 1 tsp ginger paste and the spring onions or garlic greens
  • Stir-fry for a minute
  • Add the rice, stir-frying and breaking down any lumps of rice
  • Add around a tablespoon of light soy
  • Keep stir-frying for three minutes or till the rice is hot (above 82 deg C) and empty into the serving dish
  • Cover to keep warm

  • Return the wok to heat adding vegetable oil once hot
  • Add the remaining garlic, chilli and ginger followed by the kale stems
  • Stir-fry for one minute then add the peanuts
  • Continue to stir-fry then add around a tablespoon of light soy and a teaspoon of sugar
  • Stir-fry for a further minute then add the hoi sin sauce and half a cup of water
  • Bring back to a boil adding the chicken and once the stems are 'aldente' pour in the cornflour mixture and stir
  • Once reduced a little and thickened to a glossy consistency serve over the rice.

Remember to re-season your wok after washing and before storing.

The Wok support for the cooker was from Amazon

P.S.A. My note on the fried rice part of this recipe about the rice being above 82 deg C applies to any rice that you reheat as improperly reheated rice is one of the highest causes of food poisoning. 





Comments

Popular Posts