Smoker Project

 Recently our allotment has had a steady supply of pallets coming in and has fueled many allotment projects. I love using my hands and building with wood so it's been great! This week I had the idea of making a decent-sized smoker. Usually, I smoke things at home in a makeshift smoker I made a long time ago out of a large catering-size pot but even though I live alone the smell lingers for quite a while.


So I started by breaking down four pallets, removing nails and preparing the wood. Then went straight on to bulking from a plan I had in my head to look rustic and shaped like an old outhouse. My main smoking needs are for flavour more than preservation but the build I did can be used for both hot and cold smoking.

Well, the end result turned out better than my expectations and was pretty satisfied with myself. To give me more control of the fire and smoke I decided to make the firebox from an old catering can I found. This I made with a flame baffle inside, so the flames don't come out and burn the wooden structure above and a door to slow the burn time. It has the added bonus of being able to start the fire outside before sliding it into place.



The time came for a test burn and once successful and satisfied I had to go for the real thing. The usual use for smokers is for fish and meat but at the moment that's a bit of a luxury, but I love smoked garlic, onions and leeks. So I got some leeks from my friend Dave, trimmed them, split then placed them on hangers inside the smoker. Went to my apple trees which as usual are putting out waterspout growth on top, slim new branches that grow straight upward, and cut some wood for flavour smoking. Started the fire then once burning to hot coals, added the apple wood and closed everything up. An hour later the smell was intoxifying! Rushed home and immediately put on some potatoes, threw a couple of sausages in a pan and once nearly done added the leeks which I'd sliced on a slant. As soon as softened I added a knob of butter and served it all with the potatoes. My intention was to take a photo but the smell was unbelievable and I grabbed my plate and devoured it before even thinking.


 I can honestly say the leeks were the star of the meal! 

I look forward to a long satisfying relationship with my smoker and can't wait till the currants have been harvested so I can try smoking with some pruning from them.




Comments

Popular Posts